We all have the seed of Buddha (the awakened one). That seed can be grown as a tree of Buddha. We should cultivate them skilfully. Buddha taught us three elements of cultivation. That is Dana, Sila, Bhavana - Generosity, Moral conduct, and Meditation. Staying a Volunteer will be the practice of that three elements toward awakening.
Daily Time Table for Volunteer
5:00 - 5:30 am - Morning Chanting
5:30 - 6:30 am - Group Meditation (Dhamma Hall)
6:30 - 7:00 am - Breakfast
8:00 - 11:00 am - Working Meditation
11:30 - 12:00 - Lunch
After lunch, no food is allowed. Beverages are okay at any time.
12:30 - 1:30 pm - Dhamma Discussion (Dhamma Hall)
1:30 - 4:00 pm - Working Meditation
6:00 - 8:00 pm - Evening Group Meditation (Dhamma Hall)
8:00 - 10:00 pm - Individual Meditation
10:00 pm - Lights out
If you stay as a volunteer, food and accommodation will be available for free. And any spiritual guidance will be also freely shared with you.
All initial Volunteering at Santipada Monastery is minimum for a week. If you would like to extend your scheduled stay, please ask the head monastic at the end of that period
Some point to keep in mind
- Awareness: Whatever you are doing, try to bring awareness to each action. Whether you are gardening, walking, showering, cooking or drinking tea, these are all opportunities for meditation practice.
- Keep to the schedule: Please stay aware of time and be punctual to group meditation practice and meetings. Observing this schedule is part of meditation practice.
- Meditation schedule: Volunteer should meditate for at least three hours each day in the meditation hall.
Please maintain silence, except for necessary communications or talking to the teacher.
- Please limit the use of telephone, email, reading, and music, Monastery does not afford Wifi
- Conserve Resources: Please be mindful of using lights, gas, water, and other resources while at the temple.
- Food: All food is to be kept and consumed in the kitchen and dining area. The Monastery does not allow any alcohol, drugs or cigarettes on the property. We do not allow the consumption of meat, however, milk, cheese, and eggs are allowed. Unless you have a medical need, food is not to be consumed at the temple after 1 pm. Beverages are okay at any time.
- Accommodation: During your stay please keep your room neat and clean at all times. When you finish your stay, clean up your room and please put any dirty linen from the monastery in the laundry basket.
- If you cannot keep these rules for any reason please speak to someone in the office.