Retreat Etiquette and Schedule
During the retreat, meditators are expected to maintain the rules of the center and participate in all group activities. This is to support your meditation practice and harmony with other meditators. All initial retreats at this monastery are for a minimum 4 nights and maximum of one week. If you would like to extend your stay, please ask the head monastic at the end of that period
- Daily Routine
- 5:00 - 6:30 am - Group Meditation (Dhamma Hall)
- 6:30 - 7:00 am - Breakfast
- 8:00 - 11:00 am - Working Meditation
- 11:30 - 12:00 - Lunch
- After lunch no food is allowed. Beverages are okay at any time.
- 1:00 - 2:00 pm - Dhamma Discussion (Dhamma Hall)
- Under the teachers guidiance accordingly
- 6:00 - 9:00 pm - Evening Group Meditation (Dhamma Hall)
- 9:00 - 10:00 pm - Meditation in your room
- 10:00 pm - Lights out
To apply for a retreat or volunteer click here.
- Awareness: Whatever you are doing, try to bring awareness to each action. Whether you are gardening, walking, showering, cooking or drinking tea, these are all opportunities for meditation practice.
- Keep to the schedule: Please stay aware of time and be punctual to group meditation practice and meetings. Observing this schedule is part of meditation practice.
- Meditation schedule: Visitors should meditate for at least four hours each day in the meditation hall.
Please maintain silence, except for necessary communications or talking to the teacher.
- Please limit the use of telephone, email, reading, and music, Monastery no Wifi: However, if you really need to contact someone you may ask the head monk. Reading and listening to music are not allowed during meditation retreats. Please make sure your family knows you will not be taking messages while on retreat. You must keep out of your mobile phone, MP3 player, etc.
- Conserve Resources: Please be mindful of using lights, gas, water and other resources while at the temple.
- Food: All food is to be kept and consumed in the kitchen and dining area. The centre does not allow any alcohol, drugs or cigarettes on the property. We do not allow the consumption of meat, however milk, cheese, and eggs are allowed. Unless you have a medical need, food is not to be consumed at the temple after 1 pm. Beverages are okay at any time.
- Accommodation: During your stay please keep your room neat and clean at all times. When you finish your stay, please put any dirty linen from the monastery in the laundry basket.
- Retreat cost: Donation $60 per day will be gratefully accepted to cover food and accommodation for retreat. Monastery is a non-profit organization and relies on the kindness and generosity of others to sustain it. If you want to do any kind of support or donation,please contact us or go to the support and donation page on our website.
- If you cannot keep these rules for any reason please speak to someone in the office.
Sunday Meditation: 10am – 12pm and potluck lunch. Dana: koha or food for monk.